Monday, August 13, 2012

Chicago: The Windy City/The Second City

I LOVE CHICAGO. I've been saying that it's my favorite American city for awhile and as of right now it's still holding that spot in my heart. I think the atmosphere here is the most appealing thing for me. It's not too hipster, it's not too uppity, it's not too industrial, it's just right. BUT I don't know how I would ever handle the winter here. 
I stayed with Rosa. I've known Rosa since we were in dance when we were 2. We were in school together from kindergarten through 8th grade. Then, we went to separate high schools and the last time we remember seeing each other was Christmas break of our freshman year of college. Six years later and not much has changed in our friendship. Hanging out with Rosa made me really grateful that I'm doing this trip because I get to experience my friends' new cities and lives. 
Rosa lives in Oak Park, a suburb just west of the city. There are a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes in this area and Ernest Hemingway was born here blahblahblah.
Friday night we went to happy hour with her co-workers. Yayyy happy hour!

This is what Bubba saw.

22 year friendship still going strong.

Steve and Bubba.

Rosa only had twin sheets, so the ends of the futon didn't lay straight. It was henceforth referred to as my boat bed.

On Saturday, we went into the city to walk around and do/see touristy things.

The Bean!

Can you find us?

Oh hey there.


So legit.

This guy cracked me up.


Daniel Burnham did a good job.




It was such a BEAUTIFUL day.

Rosa's first time down by the marina.

I ran into Brett again.

The Obamas were in town and traffic signals were being held extra long. 

Caffeinating by Buckingham Fountain.


Thumbs up for Lake Michigan.


I love this place so much.

Somewhere in the city a child is missing his pants.

RAAAAAIIIINNNNBBBBOOOOOOOWWWWW.



Urban Ag is cool, especially in art form.

Lincoln got graffitied.

Angry Lincoln.

Do your research.

Tracks.

The Chicago Opera House (I think).

Rawr.

Looking north on Michigan Avenue.

Reminded me of cousin Monroe.


Deeeeep dish nom.

Sunday was a lazy day. I went for a delightful run around Oak Park. I ran past the Frank Lloyd Wright historic district. Then Rosa and I went to dinner and to see an improv show with Mary Catherine. Mary Catherine is Rosa's BFF from high school, and MC and I went to preschool together (but we don't remember each other from then).

I came across this beauty on my run. It reminded me of Star Wars.

SO out of place, but SO awesome! 

They picked one audience member to come on stage.. so naturally they picked Miss Bubble Tea. She was weird and obsessed with bubble tea.

MC, Rosa, and I.

On Monday, it was a cold, rainy day. I went to the Art Institute of Chicago first and was hoping that the rain would clear up so I could go on an architecture boat tour. The rain just got worse, but stubborn me went on the tour anyways. The rest are just pictures of buildings. 





Tomorrow begins a really boring leg of my trip. I have to make it through Iowa and Nebraska before I get to DENVERRRR! I'm stopping at my first Presidential Library (Herbert Hoover's in West Branch, IA) tomorrow and then hopefully spending the night in to Omaha. If you feel like calling me over the next two days, I can guarantee that I will be bored and would love to talk to someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment